Monday, December 7, 2009

Let's Be a Beginner For A Change

I am declaring this week at our house "Be a beginner week." Every day I am trying something new, going somewhere I have never been, or doing something I have always wanted to do. So, this week my beginner status starts with Health Indian Cooking. I found a cook book at the library on Indian Cooking. Let the cooking begin! But first, you gotta gather the goods.

Yesterday I went to an Indian and Pakistanian Grocer. It was very cool.....I really had no idea that the two populations ate almost exactly the same. See?! Learning everyday, everywhere! Indian food is all about the spices, so that is where I started. Amchoor (mango powder), cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander seeds, cumin, fenel seeds, fenugreek, and garam masala (hot spices). My world was blown away by the spice section. Hold onto your seats.....AND THEY WERE SO CHEAP! If you have been following my journey in Australia, you know I constantly complain about the high prices of everything, so this was a joy to my eyes and ears!

But it didn't stop there. Other spices such as pomegranate seeds, saffron, tamarind, and turmeric (which is used mainly for color) all found there way to my basket. I also bought a few key ingredients like pulses and dahls. What the heck you may be asking yourself? Basically, beans and lentils! The colors and varieties took my breath away!

Next I had to gather some veggies. The only veggie I had not hear of was an aubergine or a Bringal. When asking the shopkeeper what an aubergine was he just looked at me puzzled. Finally, I looked up the other name "Bringal" and he says, "Oh, you can get those from the regular grocery store easy!" He found a picture in my cookbook and pointed excitedly to a large purple gourd looking thing. I could not believe it. It was an EGGPLANT. So, not only was I learning about ingredients, but I got to learn some wonderful Indian words and language as well. We had a good laugh at this.

The real specialty ingredents were ghee (clarified butter) and panir (kinda like cottage cheese), kewra and rose water, and the most interesting of all: silver leaf. Silver leaf is an edible thinly beaten silver leaf for decorating on special occasions. Boy, it was on now!

I have everything I need. Tonight we eat like Gurus! I will be making Prawn and Vegetable Kebabs (not on a stick, but little fried balls). Soon to be followed by Cholay (chickpea snack) and a delicious side of masala vegetable samosas.

Kya tum mere saath aaoge? In Hindi, this phrase means "Will you come with me? This is what I ask of you as we both travel down this new path of being a beginner. Kya tum mere saath aaoge? You just have to!!

No comments:

Post a Comment