Thursday, November 19, 2009

How Not to Get a Job in Australia

Can you already hear my frustration? To date, I have been turned down eight times for jobs I am well over qualified. Yesterday, I could not take the rejection anymore without really knowing what the issues were with me or my vitae. I actually responded to a rejection letter and this is the response I got from an exective recruiter:

"I think in the current environment you will find that the oversupply of local candidates and decline in positions available will mean that overseas candidates will not be considered. Even qualified candidates that have moved to Australia are finding it extremely difficult to find a role, even one well below what they were doing overseas.

Basically my clients have told me the only candidates they will consider is someone doing the exact same job they are seeking here locally. In this market, the employer is holding all the cards.

If you are 100% determined to come to Australia, you will need to move here first and then give the market a try assuming hopefully things pick up over the next 12 months."


Ok, well I do live here. I am kinda smart with a tad of epxerience, but the locals come first even if they might be well, "not as qualified". Is this discriminatory? I am sure stuff like this happens all the time in the states, we at least have the decency not to tell you this truth, while acting passively agressively and hiring the local. I mean, come on, we don't want to get in trouble with the EEOC or anything. Now enough of the rational approach. Here is my spiritual interpretation:

Maybe I am not suppose to be sitting in an office environment while I am here or maybe not at all in my life..ever. And that is okay by me. Never have been the type anyway. Oh, yes, I do like some serious autonomy with very little guidance from the outside world...sound like a writer? So, be it. If this is my destiny, I must detach from the other and re-discipline myself to writing as a full time job. I up for it.

PS Now that I have detached...I guarantee you the Universe will provide me with the most unbelievable office job opportunity just to screw with me. Bring it on! I love choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment